Sunday, April 11, 2010

“Shayda without eire is not Shayda Eire”



In the name of Allah, Most Gracious Most Merciful.


2000


2001


2002


2003


2004


2005


2006


2008


2009


April 2010.


As time passes, year by year, months by months, day by day, a lot of things have changed, devoid of one thing. A very personal one. “One thing” which I refer to as my ultimate Ireland dream. It never gets dwindled. Its intensity just augments.


I have been asked heaps of questions of “why Ireland” and “why do I love Ireland so much”. I would reply “It can’t be expressed through words, but to feel by heart”. Earnestly, I can’t give any pertinent witty kind of answers, it may not give sense to others, but at least that’s what I sincerely felt. The so-called proliferative obsession of Ireland (yes, obsession is what others continually label it while I called my zealous enthusiasm of Ireland as “dream booster” ^­­_^) started when I was 13, early January 2000.


I still remember at that time, Malaysia was under attacked by a music epidemic called “The BoyBand Fever”. Masses of foreign boybands levitated. And yes, I did get infected by those 5 young amazing Irish lads whom they called WESTLIFE. They were superlatively phenomenal! At that stage of life, I was really young and childish, crawling up to the stage of being an adolescent, I was building up my identity. I said, this is it! The Irish lads become my ardour, and this is the indubitable fact. And yeah, so I “learn” about them, I even did a research about them (ha-ha!), and I discover about Ireland – The Isle of Greens.


My English was so appalling back then. But what aid me learning English better is Westlife’s songs. I listen to their songs and sang along with the printed lyrics as reference. By doing so, really motivates me in getting good grades in English. I gained tonnes of new lexicons as well. Hence the fun of learning stimulated, and I found that to learn such way is really enjoyable. And alhamdulillah my English grades enriched! There were 3 oral presentations that I had to do when I was in upper form (even presentations during my uni times). All three of my presentations were about Ireland. As maturity surpassed innocence and naivety, my love for Westlife decreased and the fervor for Ireland gradually enhanced. At one critical point, my utter keenness on Ireland is such a right choice! SPM 2003, English 1119, Paper 2, Section C – If you are to travel to a country, where would you go and write about the reasons of why are you choosing the country. I was stunned! I pleasantly wrote an essay entitled “Ireland- The Isle of Emerald” with a great big grin on my face. At that point in time, I’m certain without any doubt, my love for Ireland is never erroneous.



The transcript of my presentation on “IRELAND” when I was in form 4, year 2002



My cousin loves Nicky Byrne From Westlife and she wrote that there


In university, I discovered a lot more wonderful things about Ireland especially during my literature classes. Beautiful writings from staggering writers just nourish my Ireland’s dream. My all time favorite poem is William Butler Yeats’ The Lake Isle of Innisfree. I could feel the outright serenity that the poem entailed. I fall in love with Ireland more and more.


The love of Ireland by any means, help me to be at where I am and what I am today. It’s never a blind love. This love brings sturdy significances to my life. For those who are sick of me being an obsessional enthusiast to Ireland, I’m sorry. I maybe overtly exaggerate things sometimes, but most of the times, it is just me, being me – just because “Shayda without Eire is not Shayda Eire”.





For the people who endure listening the words “Ireland and Irish” from me, and even make doa for one day, my Ireland dream would come true (ameen, insyaAllah), I couldn’t be any happier and grateful, thank you heaps! And for those who scoff at me for the thought of me being ridiculous, I thank you too, because sometimes, your hurtful words might get my mind back into reality.


Ireland to Shayda is what a singer is to a song or what wings are to birds or what Albert Einstein is to Physics realm or what electrons are to electric current. Very important. A boost of delight, energy, knowledge, and movement OF something I call MY IRELAND’S DREAM.


I’m learning Gaelic bit by bit and I’d like to say “Go raibh maith agat! Ta me happy! Is gra liom Eire” Oh, did I tell you that my phone’s ringtone is Amhrán na bhFiann? Me love it!



**when I doodle, I doodle this**

4 comments:

  1. wat a shocker shayda talking about her hometown..hehe..for what its worth,i'll always pray that you'll get there someday...I do..

    btw:BSB was the starts of the boy band era..lols!

    ReplyDelete
  2. reading your entry reminds me back of the ol' days. i remember everything back then. hopefully, one day u'll get this dream fulfilled. insya Allah

    -na-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ameen! insyaAllah, biiznillah! syukran lovelies! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Assalamu Aleikom (Dia Dhuit) Shayda!

    It was very lovely to read your, masha Allah, very flattering thoughts about my country. It made me happy to read them. I pray for you to come over one day please God, and maybe we can meet!? I will show you everything in Dublin that you want insha Allah! May Allah (SWT) make your dream come true. But my advice is to come in the Summer when it is warmer, insha Allah :))) I hope to see you one day :)

    Slan!

    Gavin AbdulHamid.

    ReplyDelete